Monday, September 25, 2017

Quick Reactions II

We focus on recent or semi-recent tradition, and the loss thereof, that I thought it wise to take a moment to step back for a little perspective. Really, really far back.

Hands down the most interesting class I took during my undergraduate was History of the English Language. My professor was a classicist who specialized in medieval English poetry and was, thankfully, actually interested in her line of work and not deconstructing it. She could also speak Old English, which was fascinating, though I think it bored most of the rest of my peers. This woman earned an extraordinary sense of gratitude from yours truly, because despite generally liking my professors, no one else even came close to this woman. I seldom gave anything more than the old college try, being generally disgruntled and apathetic to the whole stupid system, but she earned my full effort.

Modern English is ultimately traced back to a reconstructed language linguists have dubbed proto-Indo-EuropeanThe people who spoke proto-Indo-European lived approximately where Ukraine is today, which scholars have termed Urheimat, or the original homeland. Where exactly the proto-Indo-Europeans came from is not something that I have heard a whole lot of evidence or even speculation, not that it doesn't exist, but the matter was largely outside the purview of the class I took. None the less, a curious but grim sense of amusement descended upon me when I realized how heretical the base knowledge of this class was, relative to Progressive orthodoxy. Consider: The proto-Indo-Europeans lived in Urheimat at least 4000 years before Christ, but perhaps up to 7500 B.C. as the earliest date of settlement. For the sake of the back of a napkin math I'm about to do, let's call it 5000 B.C. - 7000 years ago. The latest the out-of-Africa theory estimates for human migration out of Africa proper is approximately 50,000 years ago. There is a 43,000 year gap between the two populations. Assuming an average age of reproduction at 20 years old... there are 2,150 generations between one and the other. At least. Now this is all back of my napkin, with the barely remedial understanding of biology and genetics that comes with it. None the less, something to think about. Sometimes, I get the feeling people see images on 4chan and just grab on to what they say without necessarily stopping to really soak up the staggering implications of heretical knowledge. Sometimes, as I pointed out with the Kalergi and Rockefeller quotes, our eagerness may inhibit us from constructing the most accurate picture that we can. None the less, something to pause and consider.

One more thing to pause and consider:

This probably falls under the category of anachronisms, but since our enemy does this by transposing modern, fashionable morality on earlier periods, who cares. Urheimat is sometimes identified with Hyperborea, for any Evola fans who happen to read this. Not that we can prove that the Greeks carried on the memory of Urheimat in their ancestral mythology, but it is none the less a curious narrative, if only to give you a small sense of wonder if you pause to think about those ancients who preceded the people we already consider ancient.

Wonder away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Truly Live Free

It is the summer of my life. The man I know, of whom I now write, is nearing the end of his autumn. As the leaves abandon the trees, so ha...