Monday, December 4, 2017

Quick Reactions III

All scientists are liberal because liberalism is for smart people is the sort of phrase you may find hanging over the lips of very smart and very thoughtful people.

Perhaps it is worth noting that at one point in time all scientists were Catholic and rather conservative by today's standards. Actually, since 'conservative' is a word that has lost it's meaning, perhaps it would be more accurate to call the learned men of yore 'reactionaries', a term I lovingly borrow - and gently abuse - to place myself relative to my opposites. The modernist, when confronted with this bit of information, shrugs and says something to the effect of well they didn't know better.

The irony is lost on them.

I have had a number of rather embarrassing encounters with close friends (now mostly formerly close) where it was revealed through the course of the conversation that these individuals had succumbed to the false flattery of progressive idealism. There are a many great and terrible things to wonder about the philosophy-cult as a whole, and there are many interesting, thought-provoking, or otherwise clever observations about progressive idealism made by the great heretics of the current year. Small among them though this may seem, the more often I encounter the surety of progressive idealism's devotees, the clearer the question becomes to me:

What makes you think that someday humans will not look back on what you believe in utter embarrassment, as you look back upon yesterday's reactionaries?

Whatever virtues devotees of progressive idealism may have, I am quite certain that humility is not numbered among those few.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Truly Live Free

It is the summer of my life. The man I know, of whom I now write, is nearing the end of his autumn. As the leaves abandon the trees, so ha...